Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mile 185: Good-bye, 2009, You Dirty Bitch

I've been biking a ton these last couple weeks, and there have been some major developments in the field of WhatTheFuckBenIsDoingWithHisLifeOlogy. A great trip to the heart of Europe and the Old Country is in the works. I'll be detailing said plans as they go from delusions in Herr Autor's head to actual reality.

Part of the trip involves delving into some of my family past; deep into the heart of what my sweet, swarthy Grandma Molly used to call "The Old Country". She spoke English nearly perfectly, but with a slight accent. But there were some unmistakable vocab slip-ups which I will now share.

"The Old Country" = Poland (Lublin, her hometown, to be exact).

"My Storiens" = Her soap operas she watched daily (Days of Our Lives; The Young and The Restless" were her two favorites).

"Frucht" = Fruit (heavy on the phlegm)

"The O-side" = The outside (though I now like to refer to the Obama's Democratic Party as the O-side).

And before you start thinking that my Grandma Molly was all cutesy Eastern European charm, let me tell you that her entire family was wiped out by Nazis, as was nearly the entire Jewish population of The Old Country (Lublin). That's right; I just dropped the Holocaust on your ass.

So, I'm headed to the heart of the Final Solution. My reasons for visiting are:

1) Poland sounds like a beautiful country to visit
2) My family and last name originate from there
3) There are a few family questions that linger that would be nice to answer.

I have no other expectations. Just a bike ride to the Old Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment