Monday, March 15, 2010

Mile 573 - A Quick 20-miler

Today was the first day I've been able to go out in shorts, regular cycling gloves and only a single pair of socks. Yes, spring seems to be here. It was a beautiful day and I took off around 3 to tool around the south end of Bainbridge Island, some of my favorite riding. The entire way there are views of the sound. Lots of sea life, birds, seals and parks. Here's the route link

The longest hill on Bainbridge was at about mile 6. I have only done that hill once while fully loaded and last time around it made me dizzy. Today, at the base of the hill, a small yellow ladybug landed on my glasses. An obvious sign that the world is on my side; that ladybug helped me up the hill and then disappeared once it became obvious that I could manage the rest of it under my own power.

At Fort Ward, I went to my favorite resting spot to look at the goofy birds that like to hang out there. All of them sit perfectly still except one or two at a time who hold their wings out, like Ice Cube in "Boyz in the Hood" when he holds his arms out and says "Is there a problem?", while flashing his handgun. Those birds are there year in and year out and always make me chuckle.

Further south I saw a bald eagle sitting at the same spot he's been at for a while. I snapped a cruddy picture (you can barely make him out in the slideshow below), and he immediately flew off and began circling and hunting some kind of sea grub he spotted. He never caught it, and after 15 minutes, I finally got bored and left the drama.

Here's the photos from today:


Another positive ride, in terms of gear and fitness. I'm contemplating another overnight soon now that the weather's turning in my favor.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, conifir. I've been obsessing over it for the last few months, and I've finally gotten it how I want it. Look for a full inventory list in the near future.

    ReplyDelete