Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mile 575: Rainbow and Blackout

Yesterday was a bit surreal. There was a fairly strong windstorm that blew through Seattle and Bainbridge, knocking out power sporadically throughout the area. While on a call, I watched 4 window washers frantically trying to secure their ropes which were flailing around in the street and on the roofs of a neighboring building.

Got home and hitched a ride with mein Mutter, who had to dodge tree debris to get home. Power was knocked out at The Hovel. I didn't have any food in the house, but the nearby generator-powered Rite-Aid had a box of the Double G (Golden Grahams), which I purchased and ate too much of.

On the way out of the Rite-Aid, a hairdresser told me to turn around and look at this:
From Rainbow

From Rainbow

A full rainbow! After cereal time, I biked around the neighborhood, surveying the damage. Much to my dismay, nearly everyone had power except for in a two block radius from The Hovel. It stayed that way until one in the morning, when my iPhone woke me up with the little sound it makes when you plug it in. I celebrated my return to civilization by turning off Airplane Mode and listening to the Best Show on WFMU and drifting off to sleep to sounds of Tom Scharpling.

No comments:

Post a Comment