Sunday, April 18, 2010

Inventory - The Tool Kit

My friends and family know me as a fairly hopeless handyman.  Home repair in my household didn't go much beyond using soap and water to remove dog pee from the carpet, so things like fixing cars or putting up drywall are simply not in my repertoire.

However, embarking on a three month tour of Europe is not something a person should do without know a few basics about bike maintenance and repair.  So, after watching a few YouTubes about changing a tire, having a few flat tires of my own (and fixing them no problem) and taking a 2 hours class on bike repair at Classic Cycle on Bainbridge Island from an awesome guy named Paul, I'm pretty sure I can take care of most things that the bike may throw my way.  And to help me fix the bike, I've assembled a fancy little tool kit with all of the stuff needed to make it happen.  Behold!



So, here's what I'm bringing (from Left to Right):

  • Pedal Wrench (for taking the pedals off to get it into the bike box on the airplane)
  • Topeak Mountain Morph Frame Pump (unbelievably great.  Get one, seriously)
  • Tire patches (bought from Free Range Cycles in Fremont)
  • A Park Y-shaped Allen wrench (for reaching those awkward spots on the bike)
  • Chain and Gear Brush (for keeping things clean)
  • Tri-flow Chain lube
  • 2 spare inner tubes (700x32 sized)
  • Tire levers
  • Park multi-tool
  • Spoke wrench (for tightening, loosening or replacing spokes)
  • 2 spare sets of brake pads (I wear through these quickly, because I ride my brakes like an old lady)
  • 1 extra set of shoe cleats
  • 2 tire boots (a temporary tire patch in case the tire blows and the tube starts sticking out)
There you go!  Most of this was bought at Classic Cycle on Bainbridge Island.  And most surprisingly, I know how use all of it!  I got some good advice from the Bike Touring Demigods on the the bikelist.org mailing list.  One guy wrote "Never carry a tool you don't know how to use".  So self-evident, yet I carried around tire levers and a spare tube for half a year before I taught myself how to use them.

UPDATED 4/19 - Got some great feedback from various folks and decided to get some extra shifter and brake cables, a new multi-tool (the Park 1B-3), and bring along a little sack of extra bolts and zip ties.
I'm also going to get some spare chain links, bring a few small rags, get a Leatherman and bring some electrical tape.  Almost neglible weight addition, but a bunch of very useful items.  Thanks everyone for the advice!

3 comments:

  1. I like that 3 way Park wrench but for my road tools, I would take separate allen wrenches, preferably ones with the ball socket end. Maybe it is not an issue with your bike but there are allen screws that are not acessable with the 3 way on my bikes for lack of space to turn it.

    Also, I have never been able to get good adhesion with those self adhesive patches. For tire boots a $1 bill neatly folded works like a charm, have done it and helped others with the problem of blow outs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on the single allen drivers. At least in the standard sizes. It makes the task of removing allen screws super easy. Also, I think you should consider getting a spare chain and chain tool as well. If it breaks, it will be the difference between keeping momentum and not moving at all. Park makes a nice one for touring and sticking to the go-light theme called the CT-5. You probably don't need an entire chain but I would bring about 10 links in case you munch a section of chain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, TonyB and Win. I ended up getting a new multi-tool called the Park 1B-3 which includes a chain break tool and I'm going to buy a few spare chain links. Also, I've taken my bike apart and put it back together a couple times with the tools I've got, so I know that the allen wrenches I've got do this trick...

    ReplyDelete