Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Trip Plan - Leg 2: Bodensee to the Source of the Danube

I should be wrapping up my revolution around the Bodensee right around May 23rd and will head Northwest into the Black Forest until I hit the source of the Danube in Donaueschingen.  My departure from the Bodensee will probably happen somewhere around Radolfzell am Bodensee, a relatively large town on the southwest shore of the lake.  My secret hope is that I'll find some like-minded goofballs that are heading in my direction and can show me the sights in the Black Forest.

There's a regional bike route that goes from Radolfzell directly to Donaueschingen.  This would be the route if I go direct.  It's only one day of riding to get there, so if I've got some extra time, there's plenty to explore in the Black Forest.  

Some notes on how I'm planning the route for this part of the trip.  I bought a couple of German cycling maps from Omnimap.com, which has a fantastic selection of bicycle maps from all over the world.  Part of the reason why I chose this area to start my trip in is because there's a wealth of infrastructure and information targeted directly as bicycle tourists.  Here, for example, is a small section of the map which shows the first few miles of the route I'm taking out of Radolfzell into the Black Forest
You can little wrenches for bike shops, tent icons for campsites, wine glasses for restaurants etc.  This should make life fairly easy during this part of the trip.

Depending on how long of a time I take to cycle around the lake, this section of the trip could take anywhere between 1-7 days, ending on May 26th in Donaueschingen.  I'm considering heading a bit farther north, into Stuttgart, to visit the old stomping grounds of my uncle and aunt, who spent 2 years there in post-war Germany as part of the US Army.  If I've got time, it'll definitely make the itinerary.

Next stop: 700 miles of the Danube!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have a lot of pronunciation to get down :)

    ReplyDelete