Monday, April 19, 2010

Trip Plan - Leg 4 - Vienna to Prague

This part of the trip takes me through a region about which I know very little.  Compared to the amount of reading I've done on Germany and Poland, Austria and the Czech Republic have been left behind a bit.  Here's a view of the Vienna skyline (thanks, Wikipedia)

Regardless of my ignorance regarding the culture and history of this region, the bike riding is supposed to be world-class.  My route will be based on some variation of the Czech Greenways routes, available here.  The most direct route is 250 kilometers, which is a comfortable three to four day trip.  However, if I'm ahead of the game, then there's a number of side trips that beckon (Moravian wine country anyone?).  This ridiculously vague map gives you an idea of the route.
This is also the first part of the trip which I don't have maps ahead of time.  My "plan" is find some bike shops in Vienna and pester the local bikeshop nerds for maps and routes.  At this point, I'll probably need to adopt a Blanche DuBois attitude and rely on the kindness of strangers.  Things get a little unknown from this point on.

I should be arriving in Vienna right around June 5th. If I spend 3 days in Vienna and take a leisurely 6 days to get from Vienna to Prague, I'll get into Prague around the 14th.  I'll spend another 3 days in Prague and then hit the road.

Next stop: Wroclaw, Poland!

2 comments: