Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mile 774 - Biking to Babysit

I got a call a couple of weeks ago from my sister, asking me to babysit my painfully cute nephew.  He'd never been away from his folks overnight, so it was a bit of a big deal.  Luckily, he's awesome and I'm a cool uncle so we had a blast.  I also took it as an opportunity to enjoy some more gorgeous Seattle bike riding.

On Saturday, I did the same ride that's been documented here before.  It was great, as usual, with the first half of the ride being a dedicated bike path along the Seattle waterfront, all the way up to the Ballard Locks.  Here's a slideshow of the trip:

The ride up to their place in North Seattle was directly into a 10-15 mile headwind, uphill most of the way.  I've never had to contend with that kind of head-on wind, and it was completely demoralizing.  I just routed it on Bike Route Toaster (no link, sorry.  I accidentally lost the route just as I was saving it) and it says that it's only 500 feet of climbing.  But for some reason, it felt like Everest with the wind.

The route I chose was based on the Seattle Bike Map (which you can get for free just by filling out this form).  It's a great resource and fit nicely into the clear plastic top of my handlebar bag.

And just 'cuz I can't get enough, here's another cute photo of my nephew









No comments:

Post a Comment