Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 11, 2010 - Valtice to Satov

Estimated Mileage: 50 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link


I had done 70 miles through tough terrain the day before and I was feeling cocky.  "Oh, I can do another 70, not a problem.  Remember: I'm a tough guy".

I set out into a beautiful Moravian morning, admiring the endless vineyards.


The Czech Republic is primarily made up of two distinct regions.  Bohemia, the western, larger part, and Moravia, the eastern part.  I was traipsing along the southern edge of Moravia, making my way through a very rural and hilly part of the country.   From the looks of it, they too had some flooding and rain issues, and it wasn't too long before I found myself faced with a none-too-pleasant proposition.


There was no getting around it, I had to wade through this muck.  When I got to the end of it, my shoes were filled with garbage water and ants.  As I was walking through it, I spooked a number of frogs and they scattered before me.  I had heard stories of bike tourists getting leeches from bathing in streams, so I was on the look out for black things attached to my ankles.

Once the puddle was forded, I stopped at a lunch place and asked for some local wine.  The sweet waitress brought me a pitcher, just for me, at noon.  The church bells were ringing, and I decided that drinking a pitcher of wine on my own in the middle of the day was the right thing to do.

And it was, for about 2 hours.  Then I hit a wall at around mile 45, dragged my ass another 5 miles to the Hotel Satov, run by a Czech man who has an uncanny resemblance to Sean Bean from Lord of the Rings.  I passed out around 8 from the exhaustion and the heat.

When I paid my bill the next morning, he was already tippling the Pilsners at 9 AM with his hotel partner on a Saturday morning.  I think they have a different party schedule than I'm used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment