Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 15, 2010 - Kleny to Teplice nad Metuji

Estimated Mileage: 30 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

The day started with a hilarious game of charades with the lady who runs the Pension Wolf where I was staying.  I was packing up my bike, and she came out and started motioning to the key.  I tried to hand it to her, and she made a "sleeping" gesture.  I nodded, thinking that she was asking if I slept well.  I nodded, giving a thumbs-up and continued packing.  She then made a "pay-me-now" gesture.  I could have sworn that I paid her the night before, so I busted out the laptop and wrote "I am going to Teplice today and I am not returning".  She slapped her forehead, said goodbye, took my key and I didn't see her again.

After leaving the Pension, I rode through the large-ish town of Nachod.  At the other side of the city a bike trail begins right before crossing over into Poland.  I got to see my first glimpse of the Old Country before heading back into Czech territory.


My destination was a rock formation called "Teplice Skalny", or "Teplice Rocks" right near the town of Teplice nad Metuji.  The road up was beautiful and partly off the highway which made it a nice, slow ascent into the shallow hills.

I stayed at a cheapie pension right at the entrance to the park (about $15/night).  Busloads of students came and went the whole time I was there.  It was obviously a big destination for school field trips from both the Czech Republic and Poland.


The next day was a rest day, so I stayed up late listening to the latest Best Show podcast and tried, unsuccessfully to make phonecalls on Skype using the pension's 1993-speed Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment