Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June 5, 2010 - Au to Melk

Estimated Mileage - 55 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

Ah, another perfect day with perfect weather.  Things started off on a strange note, with a flat tire and a bolt missing off the rear rack.


Luckily, I've got plenty of spares-a-plenty, thanks to the neurosis instilled in me by all of the various experienced bicycle tourists who helped me with planning my inventory.  I guess those days of non-stop rain and rocky roads helped it squirm it's way out.  Once repairs were finished, it was time for another day of world-class bicycle touring along the Austrian Danube.  However, I hadn't gone longer than 15 miles when the aftermath of the previous flooding reared it's ugly head:


It was hard to see acres upon acres of crops ruined, with me traipsing through it all, oblivious.  Here's the Chump Steamroller, waiting for me to ford through a knee-deep section of flood with my shoes off:


This was the worst damage I've seen so far from the floods, but the evidence of it is still everywhere.  Mud and dirt over all of the low-lying bike paths, and still tons of clean-up crews and street sweepers going up and down the roads.

In addition of the flood debris strewn over the road, the cottonwoods here are shedding like crazy.  I'll ride through a section of river with the cottonwood looking like a snowstorm.  All the fluff will stick to my beard stubble and I end up looking like a sweaty Santa Claus.  Here's how much cottonwood detritus is on a typical stretch of road:


When I got to Melk, I set up my tent just across the way from a nice group of folks who run a bike touring outfit.  They schlep 20 or so bike tourist by bus, and everybody sleeps in the back.  Not my cup of tea, but also an interesting way of seeing the world.  Here's their website, in case anybody is interested.

The day ended like most of them do these days, with a bit of journalling, planning with my maps and an ice cold beer.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know, dude. A flat tire AND a missing bolt? It reeks of conspiracy. I hope you'll address these issues at the next plenary session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Large Handlebar Bag HAS been awfully silent the last few days. But out-and-out sabotage? I can't believe it of him. But lust for power will do strange things to your luggage...

    ReplyDelete