Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 22, 2010 - Kluczbork to Czestochowa

Estimated Mileage: 55 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

The day started off good and just got better.


The weather was excellent and now that I knew the secrets of how to read my maps, navigating was quite easy.  Towns have well placed signs telling you which town you are entering or leaving.  Many of the city limits have a series of signs telling you what the name of the next town is, allowing me to easy determine exactly where I am on the map.


In a small part of the ride on this day, all of the town signs have both the Polish and the German names on the signs, a reminder of the face that this region was in German hands for much of the last few centuries.  I only got lost a couple of times, necessitating a few excursions into farmland/sandpits:


My destination was Czestochowa (pronounced "Chest-o-ho-va"), one of the largest Catholic pilgrimage sites in Central Europe.  My hotel was a bit outside the city, at a hilariously ostentatious French-themed hotel named "Hotel Napoleon".  In stark contrast to the wonderful riding all day, the last 5 miles or so was on the most miserable stretch of highway of the trip.  Here's a shot:


Every second vehicle was a semi-trailer, there was no shoulder and the right half of the road was full of potholes.  Oy, what a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment