Thursday, June 3, 2010

May 31, 2010 - Rest Day in Regensburg

Estimated Mileage: Zero Miles
Photo Album Link



View Larger Map

The idea was to hang out in one of the most beautiful cities of Europe, cool my jets and rest up for my first 100 mile day the next day.  The night before, the reception desk lady had given me a handy map which directed me from the hotel to a touristy Bavarian food place which was sort of like the German equivalent of a T.G.I.F.'s or Red Robin.

Well, I had a series of places to see that I marked on the map that I wanted to see. 
Well, every single one of them was closed, but I took what pictures I could.  It also was raining off and on the whole day, so mostly I stuck to cafes and parks with big trees. Despite the weather, the town was an amazing place to spend a day, especially when every corner you turn, you're faced with this:


Or this:



Like my other rest days I've had, around 11 AM I started getting restless once all of my chores and to-dos were done.  My legs needed Action!  I went to bed around 8 PM, since the next day I had 100 miles planned, and I wanted to be on the road by 6 AM.

I actually ended up going back to the Red Robin Bavarian place, and ate these Potato dumplings that were basically baseball-sized spheres of starch drenched in some kind of beef sauce.  They put me into a carb-induced coma as soon as I crawled into bed.  If a region's food is measurered by it's ability to induce sleepiness, Bavaria wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment