Thursday, July 15, 2010

July 15, 2010 - Lebork to Slupsk

Estimated Mileage 35 or 40 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

Woke up to a flat tire, an inauspicious start to a day that was supposed to be my day of bouncing back from the malaise that's been plagueing me.  I quickly swapped out an inner tube after being unable to find the leak (though I did find a wire in the tire that could've been the cause) and as I was pumping it up, it blew up!  There was a group of workmen all standing nearby and they came over to check it out.  When they saw what happened, they all started laughing and yelling "Kaput!".  Check it out:


Kaput, indeed.  What had happened was that I was in such a rush to get going that I didn't put the tire on correctly.  So, I destroyed a tube.  Luckily, I had another one handy, and this time I double checked my work.

The ride was a beaut: mostly empty rural roads with just a few stretches of cobblestones.  Miles and miles of corn, wheat, mustard.


Much of the clouds swirling around my head lifted, due to the great riding, the gorgeous weather and through the judicous singing of various Weird Al songs (my current favorite: "Rye or the Kaiser" to the tune of "Eye of the Tiger").
Try the rye or the kaiser,
They're our special tonight.
If you want, you can have an appetizer
You might like our salami and the liver’s alright
And they'd really go well with the rye or the kaiser
How can you not smile after that?

Arriving in Slupsk, I was shocked at what a beautiful town it was, considering it's name sounded something like a comic-book sound effect of someone slipping in their own guts.  Check out the city hall:


All of the old building were in that classical old German brick that's prevalent in this area.  Here's an interesting photo with 3 pieces of Polish culture in it: 14th century church, World War II memorial and a poster for a local music show:


I ended the day with a plate full of "Chinese" food.  I put that in quotes because it was really just spaghetti with some vegetables thrown.  Who would've thought you wouldn't be able to get killer Chinese food in Slupsk, Poland?

No comments:

Post a Comment