Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What's Next?

Much of the posts on that I've put onto this site have been pretty straightforward: reports and photos of my daily rides interspersed with a few anecdotes and dumb jokes.  What I've left out is some of the more personal reflections that've come along with this trip.  Those who know me, know that this year has been one of intense change and regeneration: severe loss and sadness on a number of fronts combined with overwhelming joy and passion on a number of others.

The Expedition was the culmination of this year of change: completely outside my comfort zone and like nothing I've ever done before.  The challenges I've faced these last 12 months (both voluntary and involuntary ones) have been confronted and overcome for the most part.  I'm at the end of a long journey that's taken me over a year to complete, and the Expedition that's now nearly over was just one aspect of that journey.

In a week, I come back to the States full of new life and energy, ready for the next set of challenges, having put this last batch of Chumps finally to rest.  There were a few moments there, in northeast Poland in particular, when I didn't think I would make it out.  But the Old Country is behind me and what comes next is precisely up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment