Thursday, July 29, 2010

July 20, 2010 - Kolobrzeg to Dziwnow

Estimated Mileage: 40 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

July 19th was a rest day.  My host Maciek armed me with an English-language guidebook of Kolobrzeg and I spent the day visiting various tourist attractions that I had missed the day before.

On the 20th, Maciek rode with me a few kilometers out of town and sent me on my way down the coast, towards the German border.  This was to be my penultimate day of travelling and the emotions that inevitably accompany the waning days of an epic adventure were with me.  Emotional and pensive, but in a good way, like the end of a Cameron Crowe movie where the protagonists look wistfully at each other and realize that, goddammit, things are going to be all right and aren't we glad we had this journey together?

The ride was completely miserable and not worth talking about, mostly because I took beach bike paths that were half-dirt, half-sand causing me to fishtail constantly and leading to inumerable near-crashes.  Note to Poland: if you create a map of bike paths, it would be nice if those bike paths were actually RIDABLE BY A BICYCLE.  Ahem.  Here's a shot of a typical stretch of the days' ride: beautiful scenery, horrendous path surface:



Anyway, I had another fairly short day, just 40 miles or so to yet another beautiful beach surrounded by ostentatious and tacky beach shops selling all manner of crap.


The garish environs clashed with my mood.  I went to bed early after a few hours at the beach and some fried fish.  The next day was my last of travelling from city to city by bicycle.  Holy smokes....

No comments:

Post a Comment