Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 18, 2010 - Ustronie Morskie to Kolobrzeg

Estimated Mileage: 20 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

After the raging storm of the previous day, I was glad for an extremely short trip along the coast to the tourist town of Kolobrzeg.  There was a nice bike path along the water for the entire way into the city, including a couple of miles on an abandoned air strip that was used by the Soviets.  Here's a shot of the endless concrete air field.


There were lots of school groups being led by nuns walking around here for some reason.  One group of kids high-fived me as I passed by, putting a smile on my face for most of the morning.

Kolobrzeg was a surprise, in that it was a really wonderful little city, full of parks, architecture, cafes, beaches and fantastic fish restaurants.  Speaking of fish, here's a typical fried fish lunch of halibut and pickled cabbage:


A Swiss bicyclist I ran into in Slupsk referred me to a guy named Maciek in Kolobrzeg and I had made plans to stay with him and his family that evening.  The day was spent slowly meandering from beach to cafe to restaurant to park to beach and on and on and on.  I was to meet him at 7 and I got into town at around noon.  I spent quite a bit of time people watching at this old lighthouse:


I met up with Maciek in the main town square and we had a blast comparing gear, trip stories and whatnot.  He's an incredible character, and a fine fellow.  His family welcomed me into their home and gave this lonely traveller a great couple of days.  Here's Maciek:

No comments:

Post a Comment