Thursday, July 29, 2010

July 21, 2010 - Dziwnow to Swinousjcie

Did It!  Here's the Expedition (with the spotlight being hogged by me) in front of my symbolic final destination: the lighthouse in Swinousjcie (properly pronounced "Svee-no-oos-cheh" and improperly pronounced as "Swine-so-juicy")


And yes, you'll notice, if you look closely, that I've gone and done what innumerable other dudes in my carefree position have done: I've grown a beard.  Keep the jokes to a minimum, please.

Anyway, Swinousjcie is very similar to all of the other places along the north Polish coast except it's even more be-Germanned than usual.  The border is just a couple of kilometers west and it seems to be a popular spot for them to come, buy cigarettes and lather up their enormous guts with salves and unguents.


After a fish dinner and a cold beer (or two) I called around to various folks on my contact list, just wanting to celebrate the end of the bicycling portion of the trip.  I discovered all too soon that calling friends, a bit tipsy, at noon (Seattle-time) on a Wednesday is a bit presumptuous.  So I settled for strutting around the boardwalk, laughing and chuckling to myself all evening about what a goofy adventure this had all been.  I'm sure I looked more than a little nuts.  And I probably was.

No comments:

Post a Comment