Friday, July 9, 2010

July 7-8, 2010 - Siedlce to Krynica Morska

The Gdansk Gambit is a rousing success.  Not only have I firmly established myself at one of the seedier lagoon-side hotels of the North Baltic town of Krynica Morska, but I have also begun eliminating my hilarious biker tan through repeated shirtless sessions at the beach.

It was a three-day ordeal to make my way to this town, but here I am:


To get here, Day 1 was the excellently paved 45 mile ride from Biala Podlaski to Siedlce.  Day 2 was a 13 hour train odyssey from Siedlce to Warsaw to Gdansk, which I will write a novel about someday when the emotional scars have healed.


 And Day 3 was the short 40-mile ride from Gdansk to Krynica Morska.  Now I'm sandy-footed and belotioned: all is right with the world.


This is quite a funny little town.  My first impression upon seeing the people crowding the cafes was that this must be where Poland sends it's ugly people.  From my very limited experience in this country, the Poles seem like an overwhelmingly attractive people.  Now I know why.  They take all the misfits and mutants and send them to Krynica Morska for a "permanent vacation".  I swear to god, this morning's breakfast buffet was like a haunted house.  I actually started laughing because of how monstrous the crowd was.  Ok, that's a little mean, but it was quite a shock and all of it's true.

So, here I am, cooling my jets in a funny little beach town in Northeast Poland, chuckling to myself about the places I find myself these days.  A teenager handed me a flier today for "The Best Beach Club" which happens to be in viewing the distance from my hotel room.  Tonight, it advertises for "Angelo Mike (Sentence Sessions) + Elio Rosso (Rezydent)".  An irresistable pairing, like Franks & Beans or Lennon & McCartney.  Tomorrow is "DJ Wroo & Nuno".  Think I'm making jokes?  Behold:


Until I hear otherwise, this club across the street is officially "The Best Beach Club" in my book.  Also, I am "The Best Concert Pianist", until I hear otherwise.  DJ Wroo better be awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment