Wednesday, May 19, 2010

May 16, 2010 - Mammern to Rheinspitz

Estimated Mileage: 40 miles
Trip Map: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=132322
Photo Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/benkrok/May162010MammernToRheinspitz?feat=directlink



This was to be my final day of riding in Switzerland for a little while.  I woke to the sound of the church ringing just across the street from me, and I started to count the rings to see what time it was.  When it got to nine rings, I knew that I had slept in far too long, considering the ride ahead of me.  Breakfast was included in the price of the room, and it was some ham, cheese, rolls, coffee and some muesli that the lady running the place told me was her speciality.  Later, when I asked her where I can fill up my water bottles, she told me to go across the street, because the town fountain came straight from the mountains.


Here's what a good bit of the riding looked like today




Just long, beautiful stretches of dedicated bike lanes next to the water.  The weather was misting/sprinkling most of the day, but it was warm enough that it didn't matter one bit.  Mostly it just made the bike lanes empty for me.


The days are turning into a bit of a routine: get up, pack up, have coffee and breakfast, ride for a few hours, eat lunch, ride for a few hours, find a place to stay, have a beer, have some dinner, do some journalling and go to sleep.  For example, here's my new standard breakfast and lunch:




I stayed the night at a place called the Rheinspitz ("Rhine Spit"), which is right at the border of Switzerland and Austria.  Again, the place was meticulous, quiet, deserted and cheap.  Here's where it is, to give you an idea of the geography.




View Larger Map



From where I had dinner (schnitzel and pommes frites, thank you very much), you could look about 300 feet to your right and see the Austrian side of the Rhine.  Besides myself, there was one other group of campers who didn't really seem very interested in making friends, despite my numerous waves, grins and various "Hallo!" and "Guten Abends!".



No comments:

Post a Comment