Friday, May 21, 2010

May 19, 2010 - Reichenau to Radolfzell

Estimated Mileage: 20 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

Today was a rest day, with only 20 miles from beginning to end.  I needed desperately to update my blog, upload pictures, shower for longer than .50 Euros would allow (the campgrounds all have coin-operated showers) and do a small shopping (my wurst supplies were near critical).  I decided to stop in Radolfzell, a relatively large town just a small ways away.

Luckily for me, that it was market day when I got there!


I bought a roll of bread with a weiner in, as is my wont, and strolled around to observe a typical German outdoor market.  First impression: they sell a lot of cleaning supplies.  Brooms, brushes, solvents, mops, soaps, scrapers, unguents and salves.  It makes me wonder what came first: German anal retension or the German cleaning products industry?  A chicken and egg problem.  Here's a broom stand:


So I wandered through the town, bought some supplies, went back to the hotel and messed around on my first solid power and Internet connection in 4 days.  My room was very nice and affordable, except for the fact that the ceiling came down through the middle of it at a 45 degree angle, which meant I would scrape my shoulders every I stood up.


So I would crab-walk around the room to avoid further shoulder injuries.

I received an invite from an email companion to come to Basel for a night.  I hadn't planned on heading that way, but I was already a few days ahead of my rough itinerary.  So, after consulting a map, the Planning Committee (which consists of myself and a tiny plastic Koala) make tracks for Basel, a two day ride to the west, on the Rhine river.

No comments:

Post a Comment