Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 24, 2010 - Kirchzarten to Titisee

Estimated Mileage - 20 miles
Photo Album Link
Trip Route Link

The was the day of the Big Climb. I had two big bicycling goals of the trip. One was to do a Century (100 miles in a day) and the other was to tackle a significant climb. Well, I've done the latter.

I woke up in morning feeling a bit odd: my hands were shaky. I chalked it up to sun exposure and dehydration, and just forgot about it. My route was to go straight up the side of a large hill (I won't call it a mountain, but it was pretty big) and get to a lake alluringly named Titisee.

I went up, and up and up - straight up for about 3 straight hours. If any serious hill climbing bicyclists are reading this (like Dustin) then that's not a very long climb. But for me it was a killer. On top of the steep grade and relentless ascent, it was a muddy logging road, which made it an even dodgier proposition.


Well, I Did It. It was the toughest voluntary physical activity I've ever accomplished. I am now, officially, a Tough Guy.

On the way up, about 5 ancient tractors passed me going up this deserted road. I caught up with them during a break. One lady told me they were just on a family outing, riding tractors in the mountains. Here's some hot tractor action

Once up in the top of the Black Forest, I was treated to some really spectacular views



I got to camp around 2 and just sat on the banks of the Titisee, with my feet in the water, watching boatloads of beer-soaked Germans cruise around the lake. My neighbor was a man named Oliver, who fished until dusk and was up before dawn. I spoke with his wife who told me that she would live in the Black Forest, but there are no jobs to be found. She said "My man has a job in Mannheim, which is ugly. But there is work there, so we come here only for vacation."


1 comment:

  1. Ben, I've done that ride with a family and 5 teenagers (10-16). I didn't realize it was going to be a big deal. It was the first day of a 500 mile ride through Germany (1980). I almost quit and went home.

    I respond to say that your photos brought back fond memories. I hope you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete