Wednesday, May 19, 2010

May 18, 2010 - Friedrichshafen to Reichenau

Estimated Mileage: 60 miles (!!!)
Trip Route: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=132337
Photo Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/benkrok/May182010FriedrichshafenToReichenau?feat=directlink

After a half day of bad attitude, I shaped up and finally hit my daily mileage goal of 60 miles.  And on top of that I had two major climbs during the day, one of which was actually unnecessary (let's just say I took an "unexpected detour" of 10 miles today).

I left the campground at 8 on the dot, ready to tackle the day.  Some of the most idyllic towns of the trips so far were part of this morning ride.  Here's Meersburg, where I will stay the next time I'm in this part of the world:


Here's my morning coffee, on a terrace looking over the Bodensee:


The riding was beautiful and tough, with two long climbs.  I'm getting stronger every day, fortunately, so I did it without a problem.

The day ended at an island named Reichenau, which is quite a fascinating place.  It's an island that's reachable via a land bridge from the mainland:





According to my guidebook, this island used to house illuminated books about botanical lore throughout the Dark Ages.  The secrets of agriculture and farming were housed here, and the modern day vestige of this history is seen in the amazingly tended farmland that is everywhere on this island:


I made it to the campground at the tip of the island and celebrated my first 60 mile day in the best way possible:

Ah....what a difference a day makes.

2 comments:

  1. Ben, Ben, Ben,
    Why is it that the only close-ups are of beer glasses and steins of beer?

    The trip looks fantastic and I'm a little jealous, but I don't envy the long rides. I remember the freedom marches and the days we did 17-20 miles (on foot), and god was I ready to sleep. I can only imagine.

    How about some people shoots? Love the maps and the blog.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always so reticent to ask people if I can take their picture. The beers are much more amenable to photographs...

    Also, things are completely deserted everywhere I go. The weather's not great (pleasant for me, but it's apparently miserable for typical weather this time of year), so I've met very few people. Just yesterday I had my first conversation longer than 1 minute with 2 Canadians on bikes who were spending a couple of years trekking through all of the various continents. I should've got their picture...

    ReplyDelete