Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 25, 2010 - Titisee to Tuttlingen

Estimated Mileage - 55 Miles
Photo Album Link
Trip Route Link

I had expected the day to be mostly flat, after the grueling ascent of the previous day.  I was mistaken.  This was the typical terrain for the first 20 miles of the day:


Each town was nestled in a valley, which meant: climb, descend, repeat.  Also, I had to wear a jacket the whole time because my forearms were turning into lobster claws from the sun.  This made me sweat like a madman.

But the ride was another world-class beaut.  Behold:


Empty roads, beautiful weather, picturesque towns with friendly people waving to me the whole time.  My mood was brightening slowly all day long knowing that I was getting closer and closer to a goal that I've spent the last half-year dreaming about...the start of the Danube River.  Here's my first glimpse of the Breg River, one of the feeder rivers to the Danube:


It felt a bit like a pilgrimage, and I was arriving at the start of the official route:  the Donauquelle at the Furstenburg castle in Donaueschingen:


If you look past the fine looking piece of machinery, you'll see the circular pool of water.  That's the source.  Here's me, standing in front of it, taken by a couple of German fellows also on a bike trip:


Head full of crazy thoughts linking me to centuries of travellers, soldiers, merchants, explorers and pilgrims who have all used the Danube to get some place far away, I started down the river, into adventure...

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome. And the photos are GORGEOUS. I second Chris's FB comment: your new job is to tour the world by bike and blog about it for my amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as we can all figure out how to get me the 40 Euros a day it costs to tour like this, I'll gladly oblige!

    ReplyDelete