Monday, May 31, 2010

May 29, 2010 - Gunzburg to Neuburg

Estimated Mileage: 75 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

I was up feeling like someone had poured the contents of an ashtray into my mouth. To bed at 3 AM, up at 8 AM. Ugh. And the Planning Committee had set out a solid 75 miles for me steamroll today.

Around 2 AM the previous night, I ran into the hotel owner playing cards, so when I saw his wife at breakfast, she laughed at me, obviously aware of my raging hangover. Ha ha, very funny...

I hit the road, going at a snail's pace for the entire morning, sweating out the contents of some of the finest beer I'd ever tasted. In this region, they make this stuff called "Weissbier" or White Beer, which is truly spectactular.

About 30 miles into the trip, I made what was to be one of the most fortuitous stops of the trip so far:


At this market, I purchased what was to be the simply the finest salami I've ever tasted. Here's where the Refreshments Committee determined we were to stop for lunch, and I had a lunch meat-induced religous experience

Well, that solved the hangover. I did the longest day of the trip yet, going 75 miles all the way into the town of Neuberg. It was only 65 to the town, but I spent another 10 miles cruising around, looking for a camping spot that turned out not to exist.

I was pointed to a guest house in the Altstadt (Old town) which happens to be at the top of a hill. It was primarily a Greek restaurant, that had a few rooms up above.

 As soon as I got into my room, thunderstorms made themselves heard and suddenly the difficulty in finding the camping spot seemed like the best thing that happened that day, after the salami.

No comments:

Post a Comment