Friday, May 21, 2010

May 20, 2010 - Radolfzell to Waldhut

Estimated Mileage: 60 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

This was my second 60 mile day, and did it just fine.  The ride was also particularly spectacular, which made it seem short.  From Radozfell, I meandered through a Nature Reserve for about 30 minutes, going slow and enjoying the scenery:


I wound up at Stein-am-Rhein again, where my journey started, just so that I could officially say that I've completely circumnavigated Lake Constance.  About 15 miles of the ride was a stretch that I did on May 15th.  But after I hit Rheinfall, it was all new, including the tiny town of Rheinau, little "island" town that lives on a pinched parcel of land in a loop of the Rhein river:




View Larger Map

Very cool spot.  Note the small island named Klosterinsel.  This is where the cloister is located:




The rest of the ride was along the Rhein or through large swaths of farmland.  There was a nice campground in Waldshut, where I stayed.  Again the tent campground was near deserted, except for one nice French couple who was also biking.  After a customary dinner of an embarassingly large schnitzel, fries and beer, I walked past the picnic area and noticed that they were cooking a vegetable stew, putting myself and all of the schnitzel-eaters to shame with their healthy living.

Had a nice conversation that night with a German fellow and slept just fine except I was woken up by what I think was a fox trying to get at my Wurst.  I peered through my small tent window and saw a bushy tailed fox-esque creature skulking around (and I know my raccoons, so before you write, no, it wasn't a raccoon).  When I woke up my shoes were moved about 10 feet away from the tent.  So I can say that a fox moved my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment