Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mile 867: The Burke-Gilman Trail (and bonus cuteness)

I moved out of the Hovel last Friday and in with my sister and her family for the next week or so.  My niece and nephew are empirically the cutest kids on the planet, so it's been a blast hanging out.  Quite a change from poring over maps of Europe alone on an island.  But a welcome change.  Compare my view before last Friday:

Here's my view after last Friday:

So, I've been packing and re-packing my bags, buying the last bits of gear and generally taking it easy.  I've gone on one longish ride, 38 miles around Seattle on the Burke-Gilman.  But it almost doesn't count since it was mostly flat.  I realize that when there's no hills, I can go pretty fast: around 16-18 miles an hour.

I'd never ridden the Burke-Gilman before, and it was really a wonderful ride, if a bit crowded.  Here are some pics (with captions) of the ride around Seattle:


My inventory is nearly complete, and I'm going to try and do a full pre-trip inventory so that I can look back and laugh at my naiveté when I do my post-trip inventory.

No comments:

Post a Comment