Monday, May 31, 2010

May 28, 2010 - Munderkingen to Gunzburg

Estimated Mileage: 45 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

This was an odd day, in that I felt very strange and shaky the entire time.  I don't know what the cause was, but I took it easy, going at a slow pace for about 45 miles, taking me about 4 hours.

It rained in the afternoon, and I stopped in the gorgeous town of Ulm for a cup of hot tomato soup


After waiting out the worst of the storm under a tree in the town square, I went another 10 miles or so to the town of Gunzburg (there should be a couple of dots above the first "u", but I don't have the right keyboard).  More importantly, this was the first town I was going to stay in that was officially in Bavaria.  I'd heard many stories about Bavarian friendliness and warmth, so it was much anticipated.

Well, I got a nap in at another guesthouse (the wet afternoon made the decision for me) and went out in search of the infamous Bavarian hospitality.  Well, I found it, and then some.  I looked out my window and saw general revelry coming from this place right across the street:

I peeked in and saw a dark wood panelled place, with a cast of characters sitting around a wooden table.  I came in and was immediately welcomed by the bartender, a Greek man who spoke no English, putting "Jukebox Hero" on at ear-bleed volume and pouring me a shot of ouzo.  I met his wife, a sweet lady named Cornelia (who they called "Corni") and a manic guy named Klaus who had his own set of hilarious stories to tell, which included his blood-fued with the gypsies of Hungary.  He had a tiny Pekinese with him that he loved.  There was also the hard-living guy in the corner who didn't say anything, who I was ordered not to engage with.  There's lots more to tell about this place, but I'll have to save it for another day...

Anyway, let's just say that I may have enjoyed myself a little too much, and it put a very nice end on what started off as a pretty difficult day.

No comments:

Post a Comment