Monday, May 31, 2010

May 30, 2010 - Neuburg to Regensburg

Estimated Mileage 70 miles
Trip Route Link
Photo Album Link

This was one of those days that had some major ups and some major downs.

The Thumbs Ups
Thumbs Up #1: Seeing the Welterberg Cloister, which has made the finest Bavarian beer since 1050


Thumbs Up #2: Taking a cool little boat trip from the Cloister up to to Kelheim


Thumbs Up #3: Getting to ride this stretch of road, about 15-20 miles out of Regensberg






Thumbs Up #4: Tooling around Regensberg trying to find a place to stay.


The Thumbs Downs
Thumbs Down #1: 30+ miles of muddy, rocky and sandy dirt roads
Thumbs Down #2: Constant rain showers


Thumbs Down #3: 15+ miles of black fly swarms hurling into my face while approaching Regensberg.  I thought that kids were in the trees, pelting me with rice, until I realized that it was actually thick swarms of flies.  I wore sunglasses to keep the eye bugs to a minimum, and I couldn't wear any lip balm because it would make the little bugs get stuck on my mouth.  Really gross.

Of course, I did it just fine, and it was a lot of fun.  Regensburg is an astonishing town, one of the fully intact medieval towns in Europe.  It was the old center of the Holy Roman Empire for a while and the heart of much of the religious and political history of this region for most of it's history.  The entire center of the city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to give you some idea of how special it is



Tomorrow is a much deserved rest day here, where I'll cool my jets before contemplating a 100-mile day on Tuesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment