Monday, May 31, 2010

May 26, 2010 - Rest Day in Tuttlingen

Estimated Mileage: A BIG ZERO

Waking up in a random beautiful German town on the Danube, I had a list of very quaint to-dos which should be familiar to travelers and bike tourists.  Some items included
  • Write postcard to niece
  • Buy a salami
  • Groom
So you can see that I had a very slow day.  Whatever words are the exact opposite of "action-packed", those are the words to use.  Languid.  Molasses-speed.  You get the idea.  And despite the fact that Tuttlingen was quite a nice little town, it was also a very little town.  I walked the main drag to find a salami, the post office, some bread, a postcard, a coffee and a barber.  I found all three within 5 minutes.  By 10 AM, all my chores were done.

After days of constant forward motion, I needed ACTION dammit!

The whole day I took 3 pictures.  The first is of a duck that was nesting in a river.



I watched the partner of this duck deliver straw a few times.  This killed an hour or so.

This next picture is a wood carving of a dude with a high collar.  I call it "Wood Carving of High Collar Dude":


And the last picture is of the bike superstore that solved my loose rear cartridge problem.  They are called "N.E.R.Z" for reasons known only to them since I am not on the Internet and cannot really speak German.  They were amazingly professional, fast and cheap.  If you're anywhere near Tuttlingen and need some bike work, go here first:


By the end of the day, I was champing at the bit.  I've never champed before, and here I was, in Tuttlingen, champing.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment